This past Sunday we traveled up good ol' Emigration Canyon to have Sunday dinner with Mike's fam. On our way home, we happened upon a young moose awkwardly trotting down the narrow canyon road, making it impossible for us to pass. Carter was enjoying it, and Mike and I each busted out our phones to snap some pictures. You could tell the moose was uncomfortable with our following distance and was trying to find a place to veer off the road. Finally, he found a snowy trail up the side of the mountain. We stopped the car and tried to decide if we should stay and enjoy the moment or go home. My mom would have been proud had we stayed, but we decided to go home. Carter immediately asked, "Mom, where's da moose?" I told him that it climbed back up the mountain and we probably wouldn't see one for a long time. Just then...(suspenseful enough?) we happened upon another moose, slightly bigger, headed up the road toward us. Seeing us coming down, the moose changed directions and began back down the narrow road, again blocking us from doing anything but admiring him. It then stopped about 20 yards ahead in the middle of the road and turned perpendicular to us, giving us the ideal photo op. Silly Mike was trying to figure out all the details of his new phone w/ video feature while the car sat in drive. Suddenly, as Mike had just begun to take a video, the moose turned and bolted straight for us...dead on center of our little civic. Yes folks, he was charging at us. I immediately freaked, but Mike's reaction was a little slow as he hadn't realized he wasn't watching a movie, this was LIVE! So here's our little video. You don't see much of the moose, but you hear some great commentary, so make sure you TURN UP YOUR SOUND!
For your viewing pleasure, here is the script:
Traci: Okay backup! HURRY...hurry!
Mike: Eeeeeeee. I'm outta here.
T: Honey, okay... (angry, scared, etc.)
M: You alright?
T: (Laughing now) Oh shoooooooooooooot!
M: (Higher pitched) Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
I then go on to tell Mike how upset I was going to be at him for not dropping his stupid phone in time to put the car into reverse before the beast hit us. What you don't get to see in the video is right after my shouts of "hurry" the moose in a matter of seconds had reached the center of our car and last minute, when he was within 2 or 3 feet of our car he veered towards Mike's side, just missing us. Mike could have touched him out the window as he blew past us, he was that close. You then hear Mike's "I'm outta here." We continued down the canyon both feeling an overwhelming adrenaline rush that just didn't seem to go away as we half giggled and tried to get our heart rates back down. Mike then sniffed, turned to me and asked me "Did you pee your pants?" (Sorry, at the time, this question seemed relevant.) Hysterical by now I answered "NO!!" He then said, "Did I?" and proceeded to check himself. We realized that we were smelling something from Carter's area of the car and hysterically drove on down the road. Every time I see, and mostly listen to this video I laugh so hard it hurts. I hope you enjoy it too.
TURN UP THE AUDIO!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I love love it! It would be sooo much better if we could see the moose coming at you, but the commentary is the best! Makes us laugh :)
Hilarious! One more moment to be thankful you're alive.
That's crazy! And super funny... It'll be a good story to tell....forever! :)
That is a great story!! I would be scared to death if a moose was running straight at me!
I tagged you...
Isn't it great to laugh about things like that later? I love seeing all your cute, cute pictures! I keep trying to get Kirsten on board with bloggin'.
Post a Comment